Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Howard Homecoming

by today's Urban Chameleon contributor

Being an artist at an HBCU is its own chameleon experience. It was at Howard U that I realized this special brand of Black experience cocktail I am. Part Jack & Jill, part hippie, part underground hip hop head, part Diddy-like entrepreneur, part introverted creative genius, part Blacker-than-thou pan-Africanist, part cooler-than -thou culture snob. Needless to say, I had to pocket my varied groups of friends.

I certainly was not going to get my One Common Unity group to come with me to a step show - and not comment incessantly about how European the whole greek thing is. Nor would I ever see my film department nerds strutting alongside on the catwalk at the homecoming fashion show.

I'm reminded of this issue as I make plans to journey to my alma mater for homecoming this year - I haven't been in over 8 years. I had been too cool as an upperclassman and anxious to start "life" to part take in any of the festivities.

But after being out in the hard and unforgiving working world, I really just want to go back down and do nothing but soak up the overwhelming culture that you don't get every day. Enjoy it. Reminisce.

Have your Urban Chameleon story featured by em-mailing tickles.tv@gmail.com

click here for: How the Urban Chameleon Came to be

No comments:

Post a Comment