Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Servitude Sistas With Attitudes

by today’s Urban Chameleon contributor

In every office in DC if not every where there are two kinds of Black women, those who decided to sit behind a desk with an attitude and hate and those of us whose worked our way up from the desk and are hated on. Some may classify this as the difference between having an education and not having an education about how the world works but regardless “the man” sees us all the same. That being said why the additional tension, the black on black crime in the office? You know who I’m talking about. The sistas who size you up every morning, peeping your shoes and purse and take their entire lunch hour in the break room where they cop an attitude, and all but roll their eyes when you walk into a room? Assume that you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and couldn’t possibly be from around the same ‘hood because of how solidly you command the Queen’s English that you know how to turn on and off. Then they wonder why they’re passed over for a promotion when the man says, “Wanda is doing all she can, but she's just not qualified." Could that mean not qualified to get a long with others? Or to just realize there’s more to this game then showing up to work. Sistas there’s no room at the top for the stankness. Why be a part of the problem and making the jobs of sistas striving to be the Jefferson that much harder? But I try to remain polite, acknowledge the haters every morning with a good one knowing that when I turn the corner it’s like 7th grade all over again…where someone just whispered “Oreo” behind my back.

Have your Urban Chameleon story featured by e-mailing tickles.tv@gmail.com

Click here for How The Urban Chameleon Came To Be




2 comments:

  1. Wow, I know how you feel sista, except for me it is the two young ladies at the concierge desk when I walk into the building. First, one of them gets an attitude with me because I didn't know I was suppose to swipe my ID on the way in. Then the other one got an attitude with me because I forgot my ID...like she don't see me come in there everyday! And everyday, they got that stank attitude and for what? But I decided to just smile and say Goodmorning regardless of whether they speak to me or not. But when the white men come in, all of a sudden they are so nice and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously why the stankness. For me it's at the grocery store. There is not a day that goes by where I do not get the shade my way. In these situations I ALWAYS make it a point to be extra nice but it's as if that irritates them more. It's good to see that other Black women recognize this and maybe we can out weigh the stankness and be better role models

    ReplyDelete